5 Ways to Help the Environment
March 31, 2022
1. Cut back on consumption of animal products – It is now becoming well known that the best thing we can do for the environment is to cut out animal products from our diet. Oxford University researchers found that meat and dairy production causes 60 percent of agriculture greenhouse gas emissions. These researchers also discovered that an individual’s carbon footprint can be cut by up to 73 percent by cutting meat and dairy products from their diet. Furthermore, if we all cut out meat and dairy, 75 percent of agricultural land would be released back to the animals whose habitat we’ve stolen. You don’t have to instantly go vegan to make a difference though, all the little changes we make add up and all make a positive contribution.
2. Recycle: We all know that it’s good to recycle, but what actually are the benefits? Recycling helps to:
- Protect ecosystems and wildlife
- Cuts climate-changing carbon emissions
- Reduces landfill waste
- Cheaper than waste collection and disposal
- Reduces incineration
- Conserves natural resources
Start checking packaging on food etc., as you’ll be surprised how much can now be recycled!
3. Small swaps: Even small changes make a big difference if we all partake in them. Here are some examples of things you can easily swap:
- Use reusable coffee cups and water bottles rather than plastic ones
- Choose loose fruit and veg instead of pre-packaged
- Use soap bars/shampoo bars to replace plastic packaging
- Invest in reusable straws rather than plastic ones
- Start using reusable shopping bags
- Invest in bamboo toothbrushes
- Ditch the face wipes for a reusable wash cloth
4. Switch to renewable energy or solar panels. There are multiple sustainable energy alternatives to invest in and with government-backed incentives such as the FIT (Feed in Tariff) and the RHI (Renewable Heat Incentive), the use of unsustainable conventional energy is becoming harder to justify. Not only this but there is the monthly/annual saving on your electricity bill, plus you can also receive money when you send unused energy back to the grid. The switch to renewable energy has never been so easy or accessible.
5. Be mindful of your mode of transport. Before using your car, check with yourself whether you REALLY need to drive. Could you walk? Cycle? Share a lift? Every small change makes a difference.