It’s Spring: Time for Cleaning and Organizing!
April 29, 2016
We often find our lives filled with clutter and its presence can be overwhelming at times. But what can we do to immediately declutter our lives? Below are a few tips to make space both physically and mentally in your life.
- Spring Cleaning – Throw out all of that stuff that you don’t use. Donate clothes you never wear to a shelter, give excess kitchen accessories away, clean your shelves and storage spaces etc. Keeping your home simple and minimalistic not only helps you streamline your physical lifestyle, but also keeps your mind clear.
- Practice Meditation – A key method of clearing the mind and decluttering is meditation. While there are many kinds of meditation you can employ such as breathing, chanting and walking, it is as simple as starting with one and seeing how it affects your mental state. 15 minute daily meditations will rebuild gray matter in the brain, relax your muscles, and ease your worries.
- Employ Exercise – Releasing “feel-good” chemicals in the brain such as serotonin and dopamine are great ways to boost your mood and ease your mind.
- Schedule Sleep– Going to bed earlier and waking up earlier will allow your mind to get used to a new schedule. The mind must acclimate to this new schedule, so naturally it leaves behind unneeded thoughts, activities and worries. Because the mind is so focused on a mundane task like waking up earlier, it tends to leave behind any unwanted thoughts.
- Treat Yourself – Buy yourself that watch you’ve been eying. There is a mental release when you purchase something you have been wanting. Reminding yourself that you love yourself is important in building and maintaining confidence. With more self-confidence, we feel less distracted, and less cluttered. Although we may need a physical reminder every now and then, treating yourself is a great way to relax your mind.
Max is a consultant for Point Above, a mindfulness, leadership and business coach based out of New Orleans, Louisiana.